Just A Nobody

My photo
This blog was started to share the journey of what God has called me to do, serve our friends whithout homes. A long the way it has also become part of my journey as well.

Friday, April 25, 2008

How God talks thru Trees

I want to share this story with you. First though you need to understand, my relationship with the Lord is a simple one. When the two of us talk its not great bolts of lightning and no dramatics. He has a way of speaking to me in unusual ways, using small ordinary things to speak or show me things.

Early one morning, while at Pam’s place, I walked outside and down her walkway. I was reflecting on my time in Portland and what I had started here in Boise, in the park. I was thinking of all those I had met without homes and those who are on the streets. As I was thinking I noticed her pine trees and there are a lot of pine trees in her yard. But there are two trees, one on each side of the walkway leading up to her house that caught my attention.

They both were very similar, same type of trees, both tall and strong. Each very much a like, but yet very different in many ways. One had grown tall, straight, strong and very few bumps on its trunk. The other was tall and strong as well, but its trunk has large protruding bumps and knots. Its branches were not protruding straight out, reaching for the sun, like the other tree. This tree’s branches were twisted and looked as if it had a difficult time during its growth process, constantly fighting to reach for the sun, struggling to reach out for that life source. As I looked up at this tree, I wondered did it hurt, was it painful, and why did this one have to struggle so much in life? Through its entire struggle it survived and held on. Do people see the beauty in this tree? Do they see what it has to offer, protection from the storm and shade from the heat and its uniqueness in itself? No, I thought most people would deem this tree not worthy to grow among the rest of the tall straight trees. Some would even remove it, justifying that it does not fit in with the rest and we can’t have it here.

As I stood there I heard God ask “Which one do you find beauty in and are more attracted to?”

“Well both are beautiful.” I thought.

“But which one are you more attracted to?” He asked.

“The one with all its flaws and imperfections, the one most would not give a second look. It has character and beauty.” I said.

He said, “Continue to walk in the forest of those who have imperfections. Always finding beauty in those that the world would look at as having no worth, because even these are of my creation.”

I will continue to walk and be friends to those people who the world has referred to as having no worth. I will continue to love on my friends whose home is the street. Most of all I will let them know that no matter what situation, struggle or imperfections they may have, they are LOVED and will be accepted right were they are. My challenge to you is to find and love on the forest of imperfection. You will be amazed at what beauty you will find.

So, there is my story of the two trees. As weird as it may seem to the rest of you, I felt like I needed to share it. Oh, Pam don’t ever get rid of the tree, it’s beautiful. You can also tell your neighbors that were starring at me from across the street, watching as if I was some lunatic, I was just having a God moment and thanks for not call the cops to come lock me up.

1 comment:

Pam Hogeweide said...

Awesome post Denie.

Do people see the beauty in this tree? Do they see what it has to offer, protection from the storm and shade from the heat and its uniqueness in itself?

A tree is a tree is a tree, no matter how twisted or regal or unregal it is. And so, a person is a person is a person is a person...no matter how effed up or down and out or rich and affluent..

I love ya my friend. Can't wait to talk tomorrow!