Just A Nobody

My photo
This blog was started to share the journey of what God has called me to do, serve our friends whithout homes. A long the way it has also become part of my journey as well.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

A blessing from the other side of the table

Today as we were serving up our meal, a young family come thru the line. They were down visiting some of our friends who live outside and came to share a meal with them. As the husband came through the line he asked "who do I pay?" I almost wanting to laugh I told him we don't charge for the meal, all are welcome to the table and all are welcome to eat. He then said you don't understand....how do you pay for this? Well we take donations to provide the meal, I responded. He then without hesitation leans across the table and hands me a few rolled up dollars. I told him I can't take your money, but he insisted I take it.

I almost broke down and cried right then. If you looked at this family, they didn't look like they had much as it is. I didn't know if I was taking this man's last dollars or what and I sure as heck didn't want to take it from his family. Then you hear that small gentle voice speak to you and over the years I have learned to yield to that voice and instead of arguing to simple say "Yes Lord as you wish."

"He is trying to bless you all with a gift of all he has and in doing so he in turn will be blessed".....the gentle voice said. I took his gift, smiled and said thanks. I don't know what kind or how big of a blessing is coming this man's way, but I feel the Lord has his back and he will be taking care of him and his family. I know he blessed us today with his beautiful gift and what made it even more special was that it was give straight from the heart, no hesitation or second thought just a willingness to give and help.

No comments: